Wait to walk

You’re not walking in the hallways correctly. Here’s how to do it.

When the bell rings and I walk out of class, the halls are already filled with what feels like thousands of students. Students standing still in groups with no consideration for others trying to get by, and countless people walking on the wrong side of the halls, bumping into each other after seemingly each step. In turn, this causes me to feel more rushed on my way to class, and sometimes even end up late.

Having improper hallway etiquette affects every student in the school. Whether or not you’re the one causing the traffic, or the one the traffic is affecting, it still affects you. Though people may not be intentionally causing this traffic, it makes it difficult to get around the school in a timely manner.

The main purpose of our hallways is to walk courteously and appropriately from one destination to another, in a timely manner. However, even with rules and guidelines in place about which direction and side to walk on (and to not crowd/something), the halls have become a place where students crowd in groups, walk on the wrong side, and leave no way for others to pass even when asked to do so politely.

When you are walking in the hallways, you need to be attentive. At this point, the lack of awareness is becoming a safety hazard not only for the people not paying attention, but also for the people that are. I’ve noticed students beginning to push their way through others in order to get by. No one should be getting shoved in the halls, even if they aren’t walking properly. Shoving people will only create more issues in the halls, and end up making the traffic even worse.

Not only does having poor hallway etiquette affect students’ ability to get to class on time, it can affect what students are able to do with their free time. During the day, we have five 7-minute passing times, some of the most crucial times a student has in their day. It’s when we can use the restroom, talk to our friends, prepare for our next class, and ask teachers questions about things like grades, work they may have missed, and attendance. 

So when people are blocking others in the halls, this shortens the time people have to get these things done. As it is, passing time doesn’t feel long enough when seven minutes is all you have. That’s rarely enough time for me to get from class to class without feeling rushed.

However, hallways aren’t the only places affected by people being unattentive. There is a lot of crowding in the locker commons as well. Each day after all my classes, I usually meet my friend at her locker. Now, I find myself taking a new route to her locker each day because there are just clumps of students who are unwilling to move, even when asked to do so nicely.

I’ve tried to get through by saying “excuse me” when walking by, and all I receive from people are dirty looks, and at times, no acknowledgement at all. I don’t think it’s an issue for students to be talking, especially during passing time. They should just be more considerate of other people trying to get through. 

When walking in the hallway, there are plenty of things you should be doing to support the flow of traffic. One way to do this is be sure you’re aware of your surroundings. If you see someone walking towards you, don’t assume they’re going to move, not everyone is as aware as you may be. Also, when talking to friends try and find an appropriate place to do so like in a classroom, on one side of the locker commons, or even walk and talk.

Despite opening up the locker commons, the issue with crowding still isn’t solved, it’s just been pushed into the lockers. Which brings up some of the same conflicts as crowding the halls do.

I think the solution is simple. People need to walk on the right side of the hall, be respectful of people around them, and be attentive. Following these basic rules and having good hallway etiquette isn’t rocket science. It’s okay to talk to your friends, but make sure you realize you aren’t the only ones in the hallway, and let people that need to, get through.