The Student News Site of East Lansing High School

Portrait

Portrait

Portrait

Students participate in Barbie vs Ken day

Photo by Eleah Major
Cowgirl hat on, Nala Noel strolls down the hallways on Sept. 27 demonstrating her school spirit. The spirit week theme for the day was Barbie vs. Ken, and she was imitating the cowgirl Barbie outfit from the “Barbie” movie.

Decked out in pink, students and teachers alike were in character for the school’s Barbie vs. Ken day of spirit week on Wednesday, Sep. 27.
The day was chosen by the Student Council on the heels of the release of the “Barbie” movie this summer. Student Council member Nala Noel (12) helped pick themes, and said that it was important for spirit week to keep up with trends so students participate.
“School can be hard and spirit week is just a fun aspect of it, so why not do it?” Noel said.

Sporting his sunglasses and headband combo with a fur coat, Maggie Moore takes on Ken’s notorious outfit from the climax of the movie. (Photo by Jack Hoffman)

Participants took on the iconic old western style looks of Barbie and Ken, as well as some in Ken’s infamous fur coat, and others in Barbie’s signature pink colors. Matthew Rumsey (10) rocked a hot pink wig to show his school spirit.
“I feel that Barbie vs. Ken day is a great way to bring everyone together and do it in fashion,” Rumsey said. “I’ve talked to people I didn’t think I would have before to marvel over some of the unique and fun outfits.”
For Julian Boortz (9), he thought the middle day of spirit week certainly was more than “Kenough.”
“Barbie vs. Ken day was a fun theme, I’ve had a great first spirit week,” Boortz said. “I hope future ones will be just as fun.”

Mark Pontoni takes on a classic Barbie look donning colorful leggings and a blonde wig. (Photo by Katherine Aupperlee)