The Student News Site of East Lansing High School

Portrait

Portrait

Portrait

Behind the scenes with the cast and crew of ‘Noises Off’

In the high school auditorium on Nov. 10-12th, Micah O’Neal (12) and the “Noises Off” cast start their show. “The play is about this group of actors who try to put on a show but everything  imaginable goes wrong in some way which causes a lot of chaos,” O’Neal said. He then talks about his character,“ I play Frederick, he’s an emotionally experienced actor who’s also afraid of blood which causes problems in the show. He’s also a bit dim witted and clumsy which is kind of funny.” 

When interviewed, crew member Lee Hertel (12) talks about her time on set so far “ I would say generally everyone’s been working well together,” Hertel said. “It’s definitely been difficult with the new environment since there’s a new teacher and she’s trying to catch up with us, ” says Hertel. Every play needs props as they complement and motivate the actor and Hertel specifically dabbles in props.  What the prep team does is manage who gets the props and the prop tables. They also move props around in between the play which is such an important role.

Since there are two casts the second showing is on Nov. 17-19th, Zoe Yingling (11) is on the “Sardines” cast and she mostly talks about the challenges she’s had personally while building up to the showing. “ I’m gonna be honest, I still don’t have my lines memorized all the way,” Yinging said. “I feel like especially with two casts, we’re doing half as many rehearsals and we haven’t had the stage for a while since they were fixing the lights.” Yingling says that to be better at memorizing her lines she’s been going through the script outside school with the help of friends. 

There’ve been a lot of challenges in the way of this cast but nothing is stopping them from trying to put on a good show. An example of this is when the middle school was using the set. “I’m not fully aware of the circumstances surrounding that, but the set did come a long, it’s finished and we’ve been working with it for about a week now.” Josh Thompson (12) said. 

This proves that the high school is determined to put on a good show. A lot of them are playing good characters and are excited about the play. “ Yeah I’m really looking forward to seeing how it’ll turn out,” Thompson said.