The Student News Site of East Lansing High School

Portrait

Portrait

Portrait

Junior makes top 10 at States as only ELHS diver

Photo by Nina VanOtteren
Bronwyn Minnick (11) pulls her legs towards her body while performing a __ jump at the Dewitt invite diving meet on Sep 8.

After suffering an injury to her back from overuse in gymnastics two years ago, Bronwyn Minnick (11) took up diving. It wasn’t with the school, just with a club team. This year, Minnick was able to represent ELHS for states, taking 10th place overall.

“I think States are a bit more stressful and I was trying to do the best I could,” Minnick said. “But I was thinking so far ahead of what I was doing that I didn’t focus on what I was doing in that very moment.”

To prepare for meets, divers work on their respective dives all season. When the time comes to compete, divers collaborate with coach Tom Kuhoman to create a list of their best dives.

“I pushed her,” Kuhoman said. “You got new dives over on the one-meter board that everyone has to get. Hopefully, by next year, we’ll have a full list on the three-meter board as well. Those things translate, getting scholarships and her gymnastics.”

Diving and gymnastics have more in common than people think. Because of this, Minnick was able to have a smooth transition to competitive diving.

“I think I could apply a lot of my tumbling from gymnastics today,” Minnick said. “Because the twisting is similar.”  

Minnick has gotten a lot of help and mentoring from the ELHS diving coach Kuhoman, who has been coaching diving since he was 15. Both have the same background as Minnick, starting with gymnastics.

“It doesn’t make any difference on my part,” Kuhoman said. “For her, it is easier because she has more diverse backgrounds. I can relate to that but she takes coaching well and is willing to try new things. She isn’t afraid to get hurt sometimes.”

One of her biggest supporters is her sister, Abby Minnick (11), who supported her sister in any way she could. Also a student-athlete, she went to as many meets as she could, even skipping school when possible, as helped out with transportation.  

“I feel like the support is more than just asking [Bronwyn] how her meets go and making like her like show me videos,” Abby said.  “It’s more than telling her she is going to do great.” 

This year, Minnick was the only diver who made States for ELHS. While that is a big achievement in itself, Minnick is motivated to work hard to place higher next year.

“She will do better next time,” Kuhoman said. “She’s willing to put in the work.” 

Bronwyn Minnick (11) pulls her legs towards her body while performing a jump at the Dewitt invite diving meet on Sep 8. (Photo by Nina VanOtteren)