The Student News Site of East Lansing High School

Portrait

Portrait

Portrait

Thrills without the chills

Just because Halloween is over doesn’t mean spooky season has to end! As the weather is getting colder, more and more people are opting for a night in, snuggled with family and friends watching movies. While Halloween typically calls for all the horror, blood and screams, here’s a few alternative choices for those who aren’t all about the gore and guts.
Coraline (Rated PG)
This stop-motion movie can be claimed by many as their favorite movie. For those of you who dont know, this movie focuses on an 11 year old girl named Coraline (Dakota Fanning) who moves to a new house in Michigan. While exploring her new home, Coraline finds a magical door that takes her to an alternate version of her reality. While she loves the attention she has gotten from her “Other Mother” she soon finds out that this reality is more sinister than it seems. This movie can be found on Max, or Hulu and Amazon Prime with a premium subscription.
The Craft (Rated R)
A cult-classic that can be a great choice for people who enjoy the realm of the occult and witchcraft. The storyline focuses on a teenager named Sarah (Robin Tunney), after she transfers to a new school she discovers her telekenetic powers. These new powers spark the interest of a group of “witches” who just so happen to be looking for a fourth girl for their rituals. When the rituals began to work the three, Bonnie (Neve Campbell), Rochelle (Rachel True) and Nancy (Fairuza Balk) soon grow power hungry. If this peaks your interest you can find this movie on Hulu.
Scary Movie (Rated R)
Scary Movie could be described as a raunchy horror/comedy. This movie creates parodies based off of many classic horror movies including “Scream,” “The Sixth Sense,” “The Matrix,” “I Know What You Did Last Summer” and “The Blair Witch Project,” while also mocking many teen cliches. With its raunchy nature, this movie might be a better fit for a movie binge with friends. You can find this film on Max, Hulu and Amazon Prime with a premium subscription. If you enjoy this movie, you can check out the rest of the series on the same streaming platforms.
Addams Family (1991) (Rated PG-13)
When a man (Christopher Lloyd) shows up to their house claiming to be Gomez Addams’ (Raul Julia) long lost brother, the family is overjoyed. Their happiness soon comes to a halt when the wife of Gomez, Mortia (Anjelica Huston), believes this to be a lie because of Festers lack of memory of their childhood together. The family gets the help of a lawyer to get Fester out of their home, and in the process, realize the true reason for their imposter’s stay. With the obvious relationship goals between Gomez and Morticia, this gothic comedy can be found on Paramount plus. If you find yourself enjoying this film, check out the spin-off TV show on Netflix about their daughter Wednesday.
Corpse Bride (PG)
Set in the late 1800s, Victor Van Dort (Johnny Depp) is nervous about his arranged marriage with Victoria Everglot (Emily Watson). To have alone time with himself, Victor decides to go into the woods to practice his vows. While doing so, he places a ring on a branch that happens to be the finger of a dead bride (Helena Bonham Carter). Thrilled by a new proposal and ready to get married, the bride drags Victor with her to the Land Of The Dead. Realizing what he has done, Victor does all he can to finally marry his bride, Victoria. My favorite aspect of this movie is the artistic animation that draws your attention to the beautiful storyline. You can find this romantic musical/fantasy on Max.
Jennifer’s Body (Rated R)
This quotable movie starring Megan Fox as Jennifer and Amanda Seyfried as her best friend Needy, takes a turn when a demon takes possession of Jennifer’s body and turns bloodthirsty and hungry for human flesh. She uses her obvious attractiveness to prey on the boys at her school. As more and more boys come up missing and dead, Needy finds out what her friend is doing and vows to put an end to her madness. I loved Look on Max or Hulu with a premium subscription to watch this movie.