The Student News Site of East Lansing High School

Portrait

Portrait

Portrait

East Lansing 2023 city council elections

“I voted” stickers lying on a table. Public Domain Photo.

Today is the 2023 Ingham County elections, seniors at ELHS shared if they will be at the ballots tonight.

Calvin Bosanic (12)

Voting: Yes 

“I think that once you’re eighteen and you start to become more of a member of society in the sense that you can decide the changes you can have more of an opinion on decisions,” Bosanic said.

Rockwell Kuiper (12)

Voting: No

“For me I feel like it gives them a freedom to change how things are going, If they don’t like the world they’re living in they actually get a voice to change things,” Kuiper said. 

Khloe Smith (12)

Voting: Yes

“I feel it’s important to give my opinion as well because I’m a citizen in society,” Smith said. “We’re putting a vote in to change our world whether it’s for the presidential election or its for the city. We’re putting it in for our opinion for the better of the world and I feel it’s a big decision.” 

Janie Shappell (12)

Voting: Yes

“I’m voting because I feel that the people who deserve to win should win,” Shappell said “I think voting impacts eighteen year olds because they get to be a part of society and just be involved more in it.” 

Gabrielle Hodkinson (12)

Voting: No

“I feel that you have a lot of responsibility when you turn eighteen,” Hodkinson said. “You have a voice in your community and I feel that it’s important to vote.”  

Jorge Loaisiga Jarquin (12)

Voting: No

“I’m not really interested in voting,” Loaisiga Jarquin said. “But I think voting impacts eighteen year olds to get  more involved in their community and it shows that they are maturing into young adults.”